Sunday, May 15, 2011

GLBTQ and What's Next

So, my interim class this year (and last one ever!) is about GLBTQ young adult literature and issues. At the end of week one, I am a bit flummoxed because while I have felt that the readings have been enlightening (one book from the 50's, one from the 80's), there has been no real queer theory introduced. Instead, the class has focused on more traditional literary theories (historicism, deconstruction, etc.). I cant help but have the feeling that this is a dis-service, especially for the younger pre-service teachers who have been allowed to take the class. Are we not to challenge them with theory outside of the comfort zone in order to get those analytical/critical juices flowing? There is not much I can do about it, but it nonetheless bothers me. I'm still excited, however, to be able to teach class on Tuesday about graphic narratives and the GLBTQ memoir! Oh yes, I have a doozy planned.( Did someone say intertextuality?)

In following up on my last post (*See Don't Panic*),a few days after finding out that I may not have a job or tuition, the university kindly swept in and assured me that I would have something. For those who have had such a scare before, the relief was unbelievable. Also, I may finally be getting back in front of classes teaching a CRD 400 level reading theory course in the Fall semester. Three years as a research assistant/editorial assistant has really been too long. Its time to get back in the game. I miss the classroom and the connection with people whom find themselves wanting to learn.

Well I am off to catch up on two weeks worth of Dr. Who. Oh, before I forget, if anyone would like, I am currently with others watching the films of Joel and Ethan Coen chronologically, one every weekend through True Grit. This weekend it was The Hudsucker Proxy ( a gem), and next Saturday it will be Fargo. If interested, just hit me up on Twitter @jldprod2002 to join in. The more the merrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment