Friday, June 3, 2011

Adventures in the geek-o-blog-a tweet-averse

May felt very, very long. Granted we (as in this community and state) started the month having survived an epic natural disaster, so thing did not exactly get off to a great start. I'm still sorting my feelings out, as every time I travel into town I am still shocked to find things that are not there that my brain was conditioned to see. Time, time, time--it will just take time. But I am not mentioning this in a dark way, or even a depressed way, its just that I feel like it is good to mention and discuss that it happened because sometimes denial hinders recovery.

Over on the more comfy geeky side of my brain, DC comics announced a huge re-launch of its entire universe come August 31st  http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06/01/a-note-from-the-dc-comics-co-publishers-we-hate-secrets/ and has basically sent the geek-o-blog-a tweet-averse on fire with something akin to a negative bloodlust. (SIGH). And I hate that negative ranting. Yes, opinion is the right of the individual, I appreciate  a good opinion. But there are people (and people who write blogs and articles) who do nothing but discuss the negatives of a medium that only looks to entertain and perhaps make someone's week a little more tolerable. I know comics have along way to go with representations of diversity, image, and equality, but they will get there as the writers, artists, and editors continue to learn more about how to go about doing it. When you rush to diversify without understanding what that entails, thats when stereotypes and other horrific slaps in the face happen to various cultures and groups.

Its the weekend, so its time for the Coen Bros. chronological film festival to continue! This weekend, its "O Brother, Where Art Thou?". So if you have some Wash kin to get together with, gather up and feel free to post your comments to me on twtter @jldprod2002 or just in the comments section of this here bloggin place. My thoughts on the film will be posted soon, probably along with some other non-sensical rants of some type.

No comments:

Post a Comment